Tuesday 26 May 2009

Gazetteer; Bonnie Slotnik's Cookbooks, New York City.





In the process of writing up so many new, exciting tales from Guatemala, I am also at the same time unearthing lots of photos of places I have been and experiences I have had whilst I was on my blogging hiatus. One such place I stumbled across on a gloomy January afternoon was Bonnie Slotnick's Cookbook Shop, in the West Village, whilst on a business trip to New York.
I remember making a double take, and realising that there was a gem of a shop right in front of my eyes. It the ground floor of a townhouse, a cosy place that was crammed full of beautiful cookbooks of every leaning and desire. Many were wonderful; the kind that are passed down from generation to generation, and woefully out of print. Others were obscure, fascinating, kitsch and others just the kind of cookbooks that warmed you with their warming recipes and home-making spirit.
Bonnie's had a small congregation of local friends who had popped in to chat, and seemed to linger for hours. It was a place where I could have idled away many hours had I had the chance, and come away with all sorts of riches.
If you happen to be in New York and love food (which I assume you do), go visit Bonnie and her treasures, and as it happens it isn't too far from Magnolia Bakery either.

Bonnie Slotnik's Cookbooks,
163 W10th Street,
New York.

No comments: