Sunday 30 September 2007

Roasting Squash with Bay and Chilli

Having decided not to butcher my ornamental gourds, I did decide however to roast some squash in preparation for a soup that I will make later. I love roasting these beauties as their flesh turns so soft and velvety. I love the heat of chilli with this, and I find bay and rosemary goes very well with this too. The roasted squash is delicious with roasted meats or as a filling for home made ravioli (if you are feeling adventurous and want to make your own pasta..). Alternatively squash goes really well with a piece of grilled salmon and some bakchoi and a soy & mirin dressing made with a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil.
I use this as a base for soup, which is perfect for a Sunday night supper. Any leftovers freeze well
To make a pan full:
Slice up a deseeded and skinned pumpkin or squash.
Roast with 2 chillies, bay leaves and sprig of rosemary.
Blitz in a food processor with 300/400 ml of hot vegetable stock (I sometimes dilute a few teaspoons of marigold vegetable stock into a pint of water and simmer gently with a bouquet garni). Get the soup to your desired consistency. Sieve and place in a pan to warm through. Then stir through 100ml of single cream or creme fraiche and season well. Serve with griddled sourdough crostini and a drizzle of creme fraiche and chopped chives.




No comments: