Wednesday 24 October 2007

Boney Mmmmmmmmm




Last Sunday was a bit of an event, as I went to see my family in Windsor. As I hadn't been down in some months, it was nice to escape London and spend time getting licked, but then ignored by Arnie, the Jack Russell. It was a beautiful, crisp Autumn day, which called for a Sunday roast of the kind that is eaten and enjoyed over the course of an afternoon. I love meals that become focal points for the day, when literally hours are spent at the table amongst family and friends, where afternoons become evenings and different delicious foods and wines make an appearance at the table.
Nothing beats a good traditional roast lunch, made with superior ingredients, lightly teased and cajouled with aromatics and herbs and cooked to perfection. Up there is Roast Rib of Beef, on the bone, all succulent and juicy. My butcher Paul, at Wyndham House sorted me out a beautiful cut, to which I added minimal seasoning and sprigs of thyme and bay leaves tucked here and there. Seared, then roasted until pink on a bed of shallots - this is food of the gods. I served mine with a horseradish creme fraiche, saffron roasted potatoes and heaps of steamed spring greens with a deep, red wine gravy made with the pan juices. Any leftovers are fabulous with homemade mayonnaise (I add smoked garlic to mine), or slatherings of english mustard in a sandwich.

No comments: